Long Fangs and the Vehicle Conundrum  

Posted by Hal'jin in , , , ,

Time for more Wolves, sorry IG fans! The veterans, as you have easily guessed, are not quite yet in a state to be shown. However there is a problem with which, I would love to get some aid solving!

But first things first, the long range support of the Wolves! An invaluable unit, a must have for every Wolf army - The Long Fangs!



Assembled fully recently, this unit took a while to get together. Getting hold of so many Missile Launchers wasn't easy and I might need 4 more for another pack! There's more shots of them and the aforementioned issue explained below!






The middle one is obviously the squad leader. The Multi-melta guy looks awesome, but I started to wonder how many battles will he eventually see. MMs are nifty, when something nasty deep strikes near you or a careless vehicle swoops by closely, but points-wise there isn't always room for him!

The second pack will surely contain a Plasma Cannon Long Fang, which might face the issues of the multi-melta one, by a much larger margin. But I just can't not make him. Why? Take the Space Wolves codex and look at the picture near the description of the Long Fangs in there. Must have.

But the problem I have is not related to Long Fangs and their armament! It's related to something even heavier - vehicles!

I still haven't show you the Rhinos I've assembled, though truth to be said they aren't that heavily converted, so I guess I'll just post the finished deal, but before it's finished... yes.

How in Terra's name do you paint Space Wolves vehicles?!

I just can't seem to grasp the color scheme used by GW. Instead I've done some experiments, but I need your opinions. Which one is better?



The first one: Basecoat is same in both, 50/50 Space Wolves Grey/Shadow Grey. This one is then drybrushed with Space Wolves Grey.


Second one: Is just basecoat, to show you how exactly it looks. This is much closer to what GW is presenting. I honestly have no idea how to highlight it properly, it almost seems as though GW doesn't do that at all and they still look amazing after applying all the battle damage.

Third option: Wasn't tested, but I was thinking that maybe drybrush is the way to go, but it should be made darker. So instead of SW Grey, there'd be something like 2:1 SW Grey/Shadow Grey. And SW Grey as the final, very delicate drybrush.

What do you think? Perhaps you have access to some awesome tutorial on those? I'd love to know!

And just to show some more, what is under the brush right now:


This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2010 at Tuesday, March 16, 2010 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

I'm really not a fan of drybrushing - I'd go more with your second option, i.e. just a basecoat, leaving (or going back and shading) with a darker colour in the cracks, like you've already done.

17 March 2010 at 00:40

while I've never actually painted a SW tank, I can tell you how I would do it.

1)Start by painting the whole model with a 1:1 mix of Chaos Black and Shadow Grey.
2)Using a large flat dry-brush that is nearly completely dry. Go over the model using small circular strokes with pure Shadow Grey. Do this until there's a good color build up.
3)Edge highlight with a 1:1 mix of Shadow Grey and Space Wolves Grey.

For weathering I'd wash watered down Vermin Brown into the recesses.

17 March 2010 at 14:09

Hm, I'm slightly leaning towards the second as well.

@oni
That's an interesting way, though it is slightly too late for that. :) I'll go in that direction though most likely.

I washed the recesses exactly same as the power armor - Shadow Grey/Scorched Brown mix and Devlan Mud wash on that.

If anyone else has opinions though, I'd love to hear them!

18 March 2010 at 15:24

Post a Comment