You will obey without question!  

Posted by Hal'jin in , ,

(Or How did I do it)
Not yet finished, but almost there. I would however like to share a bit on the process she was made. Unfortunately I do not have detailed shots of every stage, but I'll try my best to describe as much as I can.


Well, that's how Commisar Lady looks like now:






A few things still to be made include fixing the gold (I did patch it up after taking these pics a bit, but not yet done) and a couple of freehands on the cloak. Not entirely sure on how would they look yet though, so not rushing it.
I love how the base turned out. This poor guardsman picked a wrong moment to neglect his duties. And if blown off helm surprises you, go ahead and remind yourself what bolter ammo is made from and what would be its effect if attached to forehead...

As usual, click below for more!


The very first stage included a dremel tool a pair clippers and a knife. I basically ripped half the mini away. Got rid of her left arm (Holding a silly helmet I didn't want), right hand, armour and her boots (That was a mistake as I learned later).
Then it was just a lil' flat piece of greens stuff put onto her chest and shaped into a chestpiece with a modelling knife. I was wondering for a while whether I should leave the original one intact, but in the end decided not to. Second, larger, flat piece of GS was made into a coat, dang it looked ugly on the behind, but I didn't worry as it was supposed to be covered up later anyway.




After that has dried up, which took a few good hours (I hate the waiting part, really!) I added on another few elements. The ribbon was quite easy, just flatten a piece of gs, cut out a stripe, put it on and then just make rows with a knife on it. The skull is actually made using a gs press mold. Otherwise it'd most likely be way more ugly.
Later I learned I could've done the refractor field using a piece of plasticard, alas I have not thought about it. It would look much better, I believe.




Shot on the side, the rest of the ribbon was done the same way.




A bit more advanced stage, skipping some interesting bits, but oh well. I drilled a hole in place of left arm and put some thick wire in it. On the base of that wire and arm was built.I have to say that's definitely the weakest part of the mini, it's not so easy to make a convincing sleeve! The shoulders you see here were later removed and change, I didn't like those, looked a bit too heavy. In case you're wondering, the fist is a press mold again.




You can see the new shoulders here, with some aquilas on it (Watch out for bolter ornaments...) and a WIP hat. I was also fortunate enough to still have a bolt pistol in my bits box.




The hat turned out to be quite an easy thing. Make a cone out of GS, smack it into the head, then add a small piece in front (shaped like a flat letter D). Then either take plasticard or flattened GS and make the peak of the hat. It's also a nice method of making a hat for an IG officer.




That's the final stage. Ornaments added at the hat, monocle made (It took quite a lot of attempts...) and the fur coat!




..and the thing not seen on the first pic - the cape! It was the biggest pain to get right. When you make a cloak out of green stuff it will slowly flatten and lose shape due to gravity so during the process of curing you have to either keep fixing it or use something to hold it up, like toothpick fragments.
Fur coat is an easy thing too. Take a piece of gs, put it in place and then just make lots of small cuts. You can gradually add more pieces and build up the fur-whatever-you-want-to-make.




Here you can see I reattached the boots and gave them at least a bit of detail. I tried to sculpt a mini-aquila but failed miserably. ;)







Here she is, done and primed! I might have gone a bit over the top with the primer, I do have a feeling I did spray too close which resulted in cluttering some of the elements (quite important on the fur!)




But in the end it seems it didn't turn out that bad! If you have any comments, please go ahead, I'd love to hear them!


This entry was posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 at Thursday, April 02, 2009 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

9 comments

Really great conversion. Can I even still call it a conversion? You rebuilt an entire model seemingly from scratch!

I love the commissar's outfit and look. Fierce!

2 April 2009 at 20:39
Anonymous  

waow ... you are a hot chick ...
no, no, please ... don't d... PAN ... aaargh
NB: don't mess with a commissar, even if very nice looking

2 April 2009 at 22:55

Great work.

Really great work.

2 April 2009 at 23:26

really nice job. If I were to have a female commissar, Id want one like this!!

Craig @ cadian8th

3 April 2009 at 00:08

Wow that is a great looking conversion.

3 April 2009 at 08:34

Thanks for the positive comments guys. :)

3 April 2009 at 18:41

I'm impressed with your green stuff abilities. I fuss with the stuff once in a while, but can't get anything like your results!

3 April 2009 at 19:11

ridiculously good green and conversion. Great job.

26 April 2009 at 09:24

Did you know that you can shorten your long links with Shortest and get cash for every visit to your shortened links.

21 September 2016 at 04:22

Post a Comment