The flybirds of the Imperium  

Posted by Hal'jin in , , ,

Finally, as promised - both of the Valkyries of Thor Squadron, 64th Imperial Navy detachement! This post focuses mainly on Thor II, as Thor I has been posted a while back with a lot of pics, but you'll get to see some of it too, mainly because there are some new additions.

After reading this post by Corbane I began to feel a little ashamed about my Valks it would seem. I might get around and touch up the painting on them at some point, but that's only after I paint everything else. But let's get to the point! First, a shot of the squadron.



Of course, there's much more.


A couple of shots showing Thor II from various angles. From the sides:



The top - closeup on the engines. I think the metallics turned out quite well.


Under the wings. (The black spot is suppose to be weathering, slightly smodlered hull after being hit, in case you were wodnering)


And the belly.


And now for some details shots. First the obligatory nameplate:


My clumsy warning sings on the other side.


And a couple of shots taken before the cockpit was glued of its interior. The co-pilots controls.


And the pilot's console.


The pilot himself!


And a couple of shots of the cargo bay. Just one side, since the other is pretty much its mirror. I think I should worka bit more on the details inside of it, it looks quite bland.


The front.

And a quick shot of the base, slightly more detailed than the previous one.


Thor squadron in action!
And again... with slightly different weaponry!


Here's a close-up of Thor I as a Valkyrie.



And of Thor II.
And that's it. I'm not overly happy with them, but they look good on the tabletop and not too shabby in closeup so I guess all is fine. But I might get to fixing them at one point, especially with clumsily highlighted metallics in some spots and the interior. Perhaps more details such as various stripes visible on many other models..

But that later. Right now I'm in progress of the Psykers and they're coming along nicely. I've spent a while searching for inspiration on the NMM on the staff-tops and it's looking good. Right now I'm waiting for some good sunlight to take shots of the regimental advisors I've painted! Also the next Tactica Imperialis should come up some time soon.

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you in the comments! Perhaps you got some great ideas on how to spice up those Valks? Let's hear it!

This entry was posted on Sunday, August 09, 2009 at Sunday, August 09, 2009 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 comments

I think they look cracking mate, not sure what else you could do to them unless you want to add plenty of damage / weathering.

9 August 2009 at 13:53

I don't know that they need much spicing, they look pretty damn good to me!

9 August 2009 at 15:16

IMHO, one of your strengths is that your skills are subtle. From a distance those Valks might look "plain" but up close they are full of detail. These are 2 of the more realistic looking paint jobs I have seen.

9 August 2009 at 18:12

I love the smell of burning promethium in the morning.
John

9 August 2009 at 20:54

dude they look brilliant, you could go with some banding in places, use the green colour you use on your troopers bedrolls etc?

10 August 2009 at 01:18

I'm so impressed by this article. You're an excellent blogger with a great sense of art taste. Keep in mind that custom paper writing services are being used by thousands of worldwide students across the globe.

12 February 2016 at 10:01

Post a Comment