To advise and assist.  

Posted by Hal'jin in , , ,

A few days ago I've show you a WIP of my Officer of the Fleet. He's been done shortly after but I wanted to post a shot of him together with the Command Squad and the second finished advisor - the Astropath and for some reasons I couldn't before.


Here they are, Lord Marshal Havelock Hals and his two regimental advisors, Astropath Liev and an Officer of Battlefleet ThatHasNoNameYet. Since at some point I want to get a small fleet for BFG I'll want those two to be linked.



Some more shots of the advisors from closeup. First the awesome Officer of the Fleet.



And a detail shot of all his insignia and the gem in the belt. It actually turned out well, I'm shocked!
What do you think about the red? I had no idea what colour to use (I was trying to reproduce the colour used in the codex with no success, I simply don't have such paints. And I didn't want to do it in NMM as I think the aquilas on handcuffs wouldn't stand out at all) so I went with that. It looks slightly off but I guess it isn't too bad.


And Astropath Liev. I just love that model. The shot in the codex doesn't give him justice. He's got quite a lot of hidden details, while still being a simple and elegant model.



As you can see the robe colour is exactly same as the Psykers' one. He was the first one to have it, sort of a test drive. Turned out really well I think, I love that tone! Here's a shot of one of the details I've been talking about, he's holding an Adepta Astronomica pendant in his hand!


Closeup of the behind of his staff. As you can see, it has a big piece of parchment attached to it! Great thing to work with.


And finally the shot of the entire Command Squad as it will be often fielded and as it stood yesterday in two battles!


Game-wise those advisors are brilliant, I'll write up more about them in the upcoming tactica article. But one has to be careful with the Astropath, you cannot rely on him entirely. I've done that together with underestimating Daemonhunters. Left too much in reserves and was simply picked apart till it was too late. Of course not mentioning hitting once with 3 meltas from a vet squad and failing to even glance a Land Raider...

That's it for today. Thanks for reading!

This entry was posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 at Friday, August 14, 2009 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

They've turned out really well mate. The red looks fine on the OoF, it works well as a contrast to the white and blue.

Overall, the squad looks cracking, how did they do in the games?

14 August 2009 at 20:08

Great looking faces on both of these models. I've been really considering picking up the three advisers, they're all gorgeous models.

Do you plan to paint up the third?

14 August 2009 at 20:13

@Corbane
OoF generally performs superbly, though yesterday the only reserves my opponents had was an orbital strike and he rolled a 6 anyway... But in other games OoF succesfully blocked off half the Space Marine army and made his LS Storms come out of the wrong side. Was quite nasty against DE as well. He's well worth it. Astropath generally let me put my Valks exactly where I want them. The re-roll is awesome, the +1 is helpful, but as I've said, you cannot over-rely on it.

@Simon
Yup, just not before I paint up the stuff I play with.

And thanks to both of you for the comments. :)

14 August 2009 at 20:16

first off, you said it, that OoF is awesome and not just the sculpt, I mean your painting! second, the red is nice! as is the detailed trim on the coat.
thirdly, the parchment on the Astro looks perfect

14 August 2009 at 23:50
Anonymous  

They both look great, but they're a bit out of focus. Any chance you can take an individual pic of each of the advisors?

15 August 2009 at 00:07
Anonymous  

Looking very good mate.
Liking the bases a lot. :)

15 August 2009 at 00:38

They look great.

As I read your post, I was just thinking that you should give your Officer of the Fleet a Naval rank as well as a name.

Rather than calling him 'Officer of the Fleet Dietrich,' you should call him 'Rear Admiral Dietrich' . . . or 'Vice Admiral Dietrich' . . . or 'Lt Commander Dietrich.'

Just a thought.

15 August 2009 at 07:08

@Jonathan
Um, I suppose you haven't clicked "Read more" then? ;)

@Goehring
Good point, I'll have to come up with something. Though I'm unsure if an admiral would leave his fleet. I'll have to read the BFG rulebook throughoutly.

Thanks for comments!

15 August 2009 at 09:15

Post a Comment