Project Manticore - Lift Off!  

Posted by Hal'jin in , , , , , ,

I was supposed to finish those silly Psykers, but when the parcel arrived I just couldn't stop myself.. Thus, I present to you the beginning of my work on the Manticore! It's shaping up to look quite good.


But, see for yourself!

First off, I started with a Chimera hull...


And a "Warning! Gas!" sign..


Click below to see what I did with those!


First, the Chimera sides needed a little trimming of the outstanding elements.


The lower part of the Hull (This is the part to which the rear doors are attached) was also shortened a little bit. What you see in the picture was further altered however.


And then use the plasticard to slowly create the hull of the Manticore.


Here it's closed already.


And a shot at the bottom.


The beginning of the work on the turret. Like always I forogt about magnets till the hull was sealed... But I managed to work around that.



Aaand here's how it's looking right now.



The work continues! I'd lvoe to hear your opinions. Mine is that the turret and missles are a bit too small, but I can't really do much about the latter. But it looks good enough.


This entry was posted on Thursday, September 03, 2009 at Thursday, September 03, 2009 and is filed under , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

The bright yellow is a bit distracting, but looking good so far, must admit.

Perhaps if you made the turret smaller, the missiles wouldn't look so small? Where are the missiles from?

3 September 2009 at 20:11

does it need the turret on the top? cos you could just put it on the actual hull.
have you glued the bolter on the front? Cos you could have put a flamer in incase anyone gets close to the manticore on the board!
Craig

4 September 2009 at 00:11

It looks pretty cool. I'm thinking about working on a Manticore as well, but I was planning to use a Basilisk kit instead to have the platform/gun shield to work off of.

They're all Chimera-based, so I'm hoping for the best.

Are those the missles from a Valkyrie kit? I have some of those lying around, but I didn't even think to use them. I'm glad I saw this before I started trying to make my own missles.

4 September 2009 at 02:54

Heiya!

looks great! as missiles I recomend some air weapons pack in 1:35 scale. Tamiya and Italieri has some really cool packs for just 9 bucks or so. Usualy this stuff is a bit oversized, but the manticore is serious business!!! :D

You will not place any radar or something like that? I will in my future model, it could be a nice detail...

Cheers!

4 September 2009 at 09:54

The missles are stolen from Valk, but there's nothing preventing me from getting some other at a later point.Thanks for the tip, Spucmeyer! As for the radar, I've already made one, that's why there's a hole in the turret. I'm basing my model heavily on the FW one and it does have a round "knob" that's a radar.

@Rob
Both will probably work, but remember the Manticore isn't open-topped and Chimera is cheaper. :)

@Craig
Not sure about the flamer on it, to be honest. I'll probably stick with the bolter. And the turret is neccessary, since game-wise it helps a lot - Manticore doesn't have to pivot to fire.

4 September 2009 at 11:03

its looking good man, on the missiles front, i actually had a discussion with someone the other day about how to modify valk hellstrikes into manticores.

the main rule difference for the maticore is the D3 Large blast templates, making it a kind of cluster missile.

so my suggestion would be to remove the front "bullet" tip from the hellstrikes, and make a kind of triple tipped missile, either using three missiles from the Heavy weapon squad sprues (although you'd need 12 of them...) or maybe green stuff them / cast them.

that would be my idea of a high speed cluster rocket.

4 September 2009 at 17:36

Looking good...

I'm with the other Kevin and/or spucmeyer.

5 September 2009 at 01:50

Did you know you can create short urls with BCVC and make money for every visit to your shortened links.

21 September 2016 at 05:24

Post a Comment