The new codex - thoughts and ideas  

Posted by Hal'jin in , ,

I though I'll scribble something instead of just posting pictures. The new codex for the Guard is just round the corner and there are rumours (Well, more like confirmed leaked information, as much as you can call being read from a codex in store leaked.) floating everywhere. Tons of information is thrown around which only proves that the Guard is an army that stirs up lots of emotion.


Take a quick peek here. This is the Imperial Guard Rumour summary by The Dude (kudos to you, man, great work!).
Some of my thoughts on the codex itself:

  1. Psyker Choir preaching you into the ground, baby.
    Take a look at that. “Weaken Resolve” - Drops Ld of enemy in 24"=number of psykers in squad. Now just add a barrage weapon or a sniper. Oh my, we're fearsome Nob Bikers but we can't do anything as we're pinned and too scared to move! And not only them. A good way to get rid of nasty units, altough sometimes ineffective, due to everyone and their dog being Fearless in this edition. Oh, well. Squishy squad? That's what 55 (55!) points Chimeras are for. And to be honest, isn't that the most cool and fluffy unit around? A bunch of frail, rag-tagged men babbling incoherently, each bearing a mark of sanctioning. Suddenly they all start to mutter in synch, lightnings go out of their eyes and hands as they start to slightly float above the ground level. The fabric around the enemies swirling, twisting... *boom!* How awesome is _that_.
  2. Chimera here, Chimera there, Chimera everywhere!
    55 points! Also 5 models can shoot out. It's not yet clarified, but it sure can make for a fearsome vehicle (Though some say it might be lasguns only as it'd make sense - passangers are using the side lasguns) For such a price it's probably wise to field quite a few. Sure, it's 12/10/10 (the side hurts), but it's also a big chunk of metal and if someone wants to take it out, he's not shooting at your other units! And if he's not shooting at Chimeras, who knows what scary meltaish things can be inside...
  3. Veterans, now with 100% added punch!
    You can only take them in 10s. Ok, fine. They cost 70 pts. Sure! I already see myself using two 10s. First one with plasma guns, loaded in a Valkirie perhaps OR with an Autocannon, hidden in cover. Though 3 plasmas in the spot you need them most, mmmhm.
    Second squad? 2 flamers, heavy flamer, demo charges, fist on a sgt and a commisar with a fist. You think Guard can't kick your bottom in combat? We'll see about that..
  4. Air cav!
    Cool thing. But expensive money wise. And damn, those Valkiries are huge! Transporting them isn't going to be easy. I guess I won't be fielding more than two.
  5. The Ogryns and Stormtroopers argument
    Sure. Both are expensive. Both are most likely a tad overpriced. But that's what IG is about isn't it? Cheap line troops and elites that really are supposed to be elite, not spammed on the board. While I'm not going to mention Ogryns (They are a bit on the low side, that's true), as I wouldn't field them anyway (unless they'd be seriously overpowered and only then only in tournament sort of lists), but Stormtroopers...
    AP 3. Sounds cool, huh? Well S 3 is quite a major drawback. But what makes you think Stormtroopers are supposed to finish off an entire squad of SMs (Not t mention CSMs that might be in bigger groups)? They're not just supposed to run in and annihilate everything in their sights.
    Give them two meltas, drop 'em off Valkirie with a reroll for scatter. Watch them blow your enemies tanks away. Enemies in bug armour, but with T3 (Eldar? Tau?). Give them a salvo of hellpistols, throw in a flamer or plasmas and assault. Too bad sarge can't have power fist, but I guess we can't have everything.
    I'm sure I could find a use for them, although I'm not quite set on fielding them just yet. If they come out in plastic however...
  6. Tanks, the essence!
    Oh noes, they're more expensive! But also more deadly AND resilient. A funny trick: Take 2 Leman Russes and a Chimera. Give one Leman a camo-netting (3+ cover save!). Cover up on Russ with a Chimera or do so in the way enemy can only see one of them at a time. When they get shot at, allocate hits on the camo one. Here you go, two-for-the-price-of-one!
    (I'll have to give credit to Vladdi from gildia.pl that has given that idea.)
  7. My wallet is crying.
    Yup, it is. Want to know my shopping list for May?
    • Codex: Imperial Guard
    • Valkirie
    • Primaris Psyker
    • Advisors blister (Duh, forgot about them? How! *snucks in an edit*)
    • Battleforce
    • Sentinel (to add to the one in Battleforce) (or two...)
    • 2xChimeras (At least..)
    • Psykers
    • Most likely a Leman Russ. Or two.
    • Probably a Commisar or two, the one I made might not be enough.
    • ...something to carry it all in...
    Looks like I'm not getting myself a Shadowsword any time soon..



Honestly, I can't wait. This year is going to be great for the Guard!

Glory to the Imperium!


This entry was posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 at Monday, March 30, 2009 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

I'm really excited about the Imperail Guard release as all the rumors really get me thinking Guard is on their way back!

Plus the Valkyries. They are so damn cool! Finally! Air Cav!

30 March 2009 at 17:35

For myself, the plan is to work on an Imperial Guard team army that will be part of a team tournament theme. I’m determined to build my army around bullets and flamers, so I expect to include a few leman russ punishers, some hellhound variants and a squad of ogryn called the “Nut K’ckrs”. The only thing that I have decided at this point is how my HQ will look for the army.

30 March 2009 at 18:27

I just found this blog and I wanted to say great work! I'm about to start an IG army and your photos and this post have been really helpful and inspirational. One question though, how do you make your plasma guns? They kind of look like lasguns with plasma pistols on top but it's hard to tell.

30 March 2009 at 20:32

@Cawshis
Hell yeah, exactly what I'm thinking!
The only issue with air cav might be that Valkiries are so huge and hard to hide behind any cover, but time will tell.

@Equinox
That's one of the conceps that skimmed through my mind. I just have so many ideas, all equally awesome. As for HQ, I'd really love to field a Primaris Psyker myself, though he doesn't seem like a great deal.. But I'll prolly end up with him anyway, for fluff sake.

@Simon
Thanks!
Yup, you got it right, that's a SM plasma pistol on top of lasgun and a vox backpack. I've been getting around showing some tutorial for a year now, maybe some time soon. ^^

30 March 2009 at 21:12

Post a Comment