'nother sculpt  

Posted by Hal'jin in , , ,

I've been toying a bit with my veterans, now they're mostly done, so I moved on to the next thing - the Psyker Battle Squad. I do not yet have models to convert into psykers themselves, but I can make the other fella. The iron-willed man, that's there to save the poor psykers' souls if something goes wrong - the Overseer!

Here's how he looks now, still an early WIP:








Now, there's something that is still "meh" about that sculpt. Not quite sure what exactly is that, but it's not lack of detail, for sure. He is slightly static, using the tank commander parts from vehicle accessory sprue, but it fits this person rather well.. What is wrong! I'd love to hear your opinions and suggestions on this man.

A little background: This is an agent of Adepta Astra Telepathica, not a psyker himself, that's been trained for this one purpose. Seeing to psykers' souls purity and instructed in recognising when there is something wrong happening. The hood he's wearing is actually a weak version of a psychic hood. While it wouldn't stop a psychic power thrown at him directly, it does help against the minor turbulences that occur around the psykers when perils of the warp happen. He could also be some kind of a weak Blank, but I suppose that would interfere with psykers' powers way too much.

As for IHRH, part two is coming somewhere around Friday! Also I'd like to thank you all for positive comments.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at Wednesday, April 29, 2009 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

10 comments

that model looks brilliant so far, I love the icon on his chest and shoulder pad. I dont know what it is you're seeing wrong with him...
I have built my first veteran by the way, I got out the new HQ bits and just had to build one!
Craig @ cadian8th

30 April 2009 at 00:36

Thats damn decent, have you ordered the new command set? there are so many extra bitz that would look slick with the psyker, but this looks pretty tasty so far cant wait to see the final product.

30 April 2009 at 02:16

Two things throw me off here:

1-there needs to be some detail on the psychic hood. It feels like it's missing something. And,

2-the coat is too short, and reminds me of a kilt. Whatever you do, please don't paint it plaid :)

30 April 2009 at 02:20

I think what you have done is great. If I were forced to make any criticism I would have to say the arm behind the back just seems odd to me. It seems like with the position of his head and gun arm that the left arm should be doing something... Maybe holding a book... Or studying a device... Not sure.

However, I still think it is outstanding and if nothing changed would oooh and ahhh all over it if I saw it on a table top.

30 April 2009 at 03:01

I've done some green stuffing in the last couple days and I can tell you exactly what's wrong with your sculpt. Nothing. The artists eye is the most (read: over) critical. I'll be posting the work I've done either tonight or likely tomorrow morning. My work also involves hoods, were they a pain for you? I almost felt like I was getting good at it by the tenth one!

30 April 2009 at 16:31

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@Geek
You're probably right. I always see flaws in every single model I make. I think the Lieutenant from FW was the only one I was happy with. Oh well. Still room for improvement on this one. I've done slight adjustements, now waiting for gs to cure to move on.
Hoods aren't that bad. Here, I used this, perhaps it will help you:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/336

@Wildhermit
If he was studying a device or reading a book, his mind would be distracted from the psykers he's watching at all times!

@Wienas
Yup, hood got some details, but it's mostly going to be painted with freehands. Coat is probably slightly too short, yep. Can't make it any longer now though, unfortunately.

@Syxx
Not yet, waiting for the battleforce. And I'll need these parts. There is a little something I'm considering that I call Masters of the Regiment...

@Craig
Give us the pics of the vet!

Actually one thing I found a bit throwing off that's not noticeable but gives a weird feeling is that area above belt is thinner than the area below. Going to fix this.
Also the mix-match between grey plastic and green putty makes for sligth confusion.

30 April 2009 at 16:38

I used the same article on hoods! Also, having just primed mine, I can tell you they look better to me all primed than they did part gray plastic and part greenstuff. So, you may have something there!

30 April 2009 at 16:56

Extremely sinister stuff, make sure you post it when it's finished.

2 May 2009 at 23:25
Anonymous  

What sprue had the arm he's holding behind his back on it?

10 July 2009 at 08:11

I like to shooting, but I am just used the one kinds models of the looting, this model of I have not used, want to try

12 August 2013 at 10:47

Post a Comment