I Hate Right Hands - The Work Done - Squad 301  

Posted by Hal'jin in , , , ,

As part of the I Hate Right Hands series I present to you... the first veteran squad of the 42nd Cadian 3rd Company! These have been all made using tips from my articles and I though it's a good idea to include it in the series, so that readers get a chance to see how all those tips turn out in the end. So let's get to business, but let me just tell you that I don't think I've ever before been so proud of minis I painted...

Without further ado! The squad 301 itself leaving safety of its fine ride to engage the enemy!


That's to wet you appetite. Click below for more pictures!


One more groupshot of the 301:


And now onto individual models. First, I present to you the three plasma gunners. Do you know those minis sat on the shelf and went into battle for an entire year unpainted? They were one of the first things I've made.



The next three. The one on the right belongs to the original bunch of real year-old vets. The original idea was to head the clips hanging on a belt going through his torso, but it didn't really work out, so he ended up having a lot of clips on his belt.. But who knows maybe I'll use this idea one day! I really like the one on the left though, very dynamic. Apparently he's the only vet with no purity seals whatsoever, I wonder how I missed that! The middle one was the one I liked the least and wasn't too happy with him when I had finished him. I'm glad I didn't try to redo him though as he turned out really well.



And the last three. The middle one is my favourite hands down. I love the way he turned out, but I guess that's Forgeworld charm. The left one is quite antique as well, belonging originally to the second plasma-bomb-vet-kamikaze-squad. I have no idea where does this head come from, I got it along lots of other bits. It's probably some WFB knight or something. Fits great though!
The right one is a real tough guy. The sculpted glasses add quite some charm and I'm really happy with him.



Finally the sarge! Apologies for the shadows, I only noticed them now, oops! The sarge had some serious rework put into him into the assembly stage. I love his face, yet again a credit to Forgeworld awesomeness. I really wish they produced more Cadian infantry! At first I was going to make the plasma pistol glow different color (red) but in the end decided it would bleed into the purity seals color or stand out too much in a silly way.


But in reality the plasma pistol is a thing of previous codex. Nowadays I most likely won't field sergeants that way, so a solution was made! Still he's going to sit around with the plasma as it looks more interesting, at least in my opinion.


Now some closeups, that some of you (Hi, Drax!) seem to like a lot, on the sarge himself!

And on my very favourite vet. Did you say there's casting for new Terminator somewhere nearby?


And lastly, their Chimera APC! Finished just today. It doesn't have a camo pattern, yes. If you check the codex it seems the Chimeras are painted differently so I went with tha... Okay. Okay! I was lazy. But it still turned out much better than I though, even though it seems more white than other vehicles. I suppose part of that is the airbrush I used for the first time to get the basecoat on it.




This Chimera is just a sneak peak of what's to come. As the second one I currently have, which is dedicated to the regimental command squad has something special...

And that's it for tonight. I'd love to hear your opinions!

This entry was posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at Tuesday, June 23, 2009 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

What a beautiful squad of vets! I love the attention to detail, the individuality of each of the vets (while keeping with a solid, consistent foundation). I really like the earthy feel to the color scheme - heck it even goes with the blog well!

Question: the heads with the visors - are those from the Heavy Weapons teams?

24 June 2009 at 00:36

Love it. Simply love it.

And I might just have to raid my Fantasy Empire bitz for some new heads too...

Nice close-ups: the sergeant's face is great!

24 June 2009 at 00:37

Very nice! I love your skin tones, especially on the serge, nice and smooth!

24 June 2009 at 04:25

@Brett
The idea was to match the blog layout to the scheme of the army. :)
The heads with visors are from heavy weapon team, vehicle accessory sprue, and one with sculpted visor I mentioned.

@Drax
It can be surprising those are so fitting!

Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

24 June 2009 at 08:47

i think that head is from an empire set, i saw it the other day and went looking on bitzbox, he's got a nice side-parting of heair that i thought would look good as an officer, but i alas, i couldnt find him...
Anyway, man iv gota say, what a job you've done here!!!! I just love this squad and there are no others words... love them

24 June 2009 at 11:40

Awesome work! I've been looking forward to seeing these completed. You've really got a cohesive unit there along with a fantastic transport, nice to see someone model a searchlight for a change.

Custom, creative...what more could you want?

24 June 2009 at 13:31

Great job, they are really good.

I'm a new visitor to your blog and I have to say that I like your style.

24 June 2009 at 15:24

Very impressive work. Everything ties in so well. Love the transport. The vets look great and travel in style!

29 June 2009 at 17:42

Post a Comment