Flight of the Valkyries  

Posted by Hal'jin in , , ,

Finally! I managed to finish first of my pair of Valks. And let me tell you it was quite a painful process. A large model with tons of details and definitely deserving a good paintjob. And there's still one more to do. Oh well, at least I can show off this one a bit!

Of course I'm not entirely happy with it, like always. I did screw up a couple of things I'm really angry about and can't really do anything. First tip: Do not use plastic glue to glue the frames onto transparent pieces. Second: careful when you paint the ramp, if paint dries out on the moving parts... (Thanks to this post by Corbania Prime for the rescue!)

Anyway, enough about my clumsiness, on with the pics!




And, as usual, click below for more!

Here's a shot at the base. I decided to leave it "plain". Gives you a better feel of how actually the surface of the planet 42nd is fighting on looks like, than the small bases do. The second one might actually get something happening on its base. And who knows maybe I'll add something here too. I can't make the bases too complex though - I won't be able to fit the Valks to the carrying case.


And now the details shots, first some interior shots. The pilots:

I decided to leave the top detachable. Let's you peek inside and makes it easier to put those Heavy Bolters in if I ever decide to field her with those. Still have them unpainted along with the missle pods, I'll be fixing that soon.

Anyway, with the top detached a shot at co-pilots controls:


And now the cargo bay itself:



And a few detail shots of my clumsy freehands. The nameplate (notice the burn on the hull!)


The warning signs:


The badge of the Thor squadron - part of the 64th Imperial Navy Detachement.


And the insignia of the Imperial Navy.


And concluding: one more shot of the Vendetta that just brought the high command to the field!


Aaaand that's it! Thanks for watching and, as always, I'm waiting for your comments! In case you were wondering the Lascannons to make the Vendetta are our good ol' heavy weapon teams Lacannons sticked together with the batteries attached at the sides. Same goes from the frontal Lascannon, which is the one from Valk with additional barrel added from the heavy weapons.

And now.. onto the HQ. I was a bit dragged into Mass Effect I purchesed recently (Great game, by the way, I reccomend it!) but now that I managed to play through it twice I can focus a bit more on painting... Finally...

Oh, and 42nd suffered its first defeat (under new rules, under the old it barely won anything) against the Tau. A very narrow might I add, only reason it wasn't a draw is that my opponent actually managed to roll double ones for Leadership, geez! I had no clue Tau can do things like that (never played them before), quite scary. Still, I have to say, even if I repeat myself, I love the new codex and the way it plays! No matter win or lose I have tons more fun than I had before and that's what it's all about, isn' it?

This entry was posted on Thursday, July 02, 2009 at Thursday, July 02, 2009 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

That looks really nice mate and thanks for the plug :-)

I haven't even put any paint on my Valk yet, I really need to get it done, it's just such a daunting project.

2 July 2009 at 12:01

That thing looks pretty good to me! Nice work.

2 July 2009 at 13:33

excellent work as always!!!

2 July 2009 at 15:01

Nice work sir!

2 July 2009 at 15:44

Very nice!!

2 July 2009 at 16:52

Great job.

2 July 2009 at 17:12

All good; all good.

Cheers for sharing!

- Drax

2 July 2009 at 17:28

Post a Comment