I Hate Right Hands - Part III - Don't Eat the Green Stuff  

Posted by Hal'jin in , , , , , , ,

Apologies for the delay on that one and general lack of updates. I've been busy with uni recently and add to that the Valks and Chimeras I've been trying to get my hands on... Good news is, they're all undercoated and I've started dabbling with a Valk. I also am halfway through that damn last Infantry Squad.

There is one more issue with this guide, my camera battery died in the very middle of taking pictures of GS work and since I wasn't home I wasn't able to charge it up and such was stuck with quickly curing GS. I decided to carry on not to waste it so unfortunately some part will be words only.

I was alson thinking quite long about what to write so that I do not repeat what has been said over the internet a hundred times. I probably still will repeat everything, but I'm intending to at least relay to you the basics of the conversion work I'm doing on nearly all Guardsmen of the 42nd. Let's get started then!


First of all what will you need to work with the Green Stuff.

  • Some Green Stuff, duh



  • A bowl or some other container of water



  • A modelling knife of some sort



  • I found out that a Swiss Army Knife is a great tool too



  • And some workspare, preferable a large piece of relatively thick foil






Once you have all these you must first read these rules before you start, especially if this is your first time working with putty:

  • Remember to keep your hands and tools wet at all times - it prevents the putty sticking to everything and most often doesn't let those pesky fingerprints appear on the things you do.

    The alternative to water is cooking oil or vaseline. They both help to lubricate the putty so that it doesn't stick where you don't want it to.

  • Epoxid putty is toxic - 'nuff said, really. Don't eat it, don't chew on it, even though it looks so colorful. You probably won't be hurt if you would touch your lips with dirty fingers, but I would reccoment washing your hands after finishing the job throughoutly.

  • Patience is virtue - this one is hard, really is! There were countles cases where I just couldn't take it, when the thing I was making wouldn't stick on to the model and would gradually get ruined by attemps, when something didn't shape as I wanted to... The more nervous you are the worse the effect. Calm down and think of alternatives. Perhaps you can just let the piece cure and then use superglue to stick it onto the mini?

  • Measure twice, cut once - as a rule of thumb measure roughly how much green stuff you will need to do the job. Then cut off half of that ammount. It actually works accurately 90% of times! And if it isn't enough there's never a problem of making more.

  • Green is soft, blue is hard - it's a bit more advanced thing that I actually rarely take advantage of. Generally you should mix both the ingredients in a 1:1 ratio. If you add more green however you'll end up with softer, more malleable mass, while more blue will mean harder putty, which will keep its shape better.

  • The middle is bad - unless you have bought a fresh blister of putty and it has been produced recently, the middle section, where two ingredients mix, will be useless. It will be thick, cured putty, which you won't be able to use, while it could create hard spots within the mass, ruining certain efforts. So cut out the middle section before starting the work!

  • Anything is possible - well, almost. The only thing limiting the possible uses of putty is your imagination. Of course you'd rather not do large flat surfaces with it - you'd use plasticard for that.

  • Anything can be a tool - literally everything. Sometimes I ended up grabbing the nearest object that I saw on the desk and it ended up being just the tool I need! I do not take responsibility however in case you decide to use your friend/relative/dog/cat as a sculpting tool.


And now, a couple of tutorials!

  1. Bandages

    The thing I probably used the most. It's on nearly every Guardsmen in one form or another and it has been used on the veterans as well. Here are a couple examples. The mask itself actually isn't made that way, but some of them amongst many Guardsmen are, can't recall which exacly though, they look similar enough.




    So, how to do it? First of all, obviously, get some green stuff.

    Mix it up, remembering all the rules and once it's fully mixed (equal green color everywhere) roll a long "stick" out of it. It is advisable to use two solid flat surfaces, like old cd cases to roll it, it will guarantee a more even effect.


    Once you've done this, flatten it, using two flat surfaces again. Press equally everywhere so that you achieve an equally flat effect. Remember to keep both surfaces lubricated!

    In case it isn't really even, use a very sharp and wet knife to cut straight lines and even out the shape.

    There, you've got a bandage ready! Now you can use it for whatever you want. For example roll it aroun the boots of a guardsmen:

    The thing is to use your fingers (wet!). It's imperative that you stick the bandage as close to the surface of the mini as possible, else you will end up with too big of a loop which will either look bad or fall of completely. Also remember not to press too hard with your finger or you'll have fingerprints left on the bandage!

    In case that would happen there is one way to get rid of those. Get your finger wet and rub the area vigorously. Of course too hard and it might completely ruin the sculpt, that's why you have to be very careful!

    In the end you might want to add some texture on the bandages, adding several small cuts along it. The final effect is something like this:


  2. Sash

    The other thing I'd like to show you is how to make a ceremonial sash, or at least it's end, like the one use below.

    Yup, it is the finished overseer, will show it in more detail soon.


    Firstly, make a bandage, but this time a bit thicker.


    Cut it to preferred lenth and cut at least one edge to make sure it's perpendicular to the bandage. Now make two deep cuts across the bandage, closer to one edge, careful not to cut through it though!

    And here is the part when my camera died. However finishing it won't be hard. Simply make several shallow cuts along the shorter part. You can keep it that way, though you will add more details if you use the blunt side of the blade using it along on the longer part, making for folds in the cloth.

  3. Press molds

    Theoretically an easy subject, but in practice it can cause issues if done wrong. You will need some additional things for this.

    • Some cooking oil. A really little ammount. No, water will not suffice this time.



    • An unused base. WFB square bases are great for this, though round do to. It is best however if the base is flat and has not "slot".



    • The piece you want to copy!


    Now remember you're not allowed to sell or share whatever you copy, that would be crossing GWs IPs. Also keep in mind that GS molds make for quite expensive ones. You use quite a lot of GS to make a mold and use quite a bit to make the copied elements. Also, you will not be able to copy the finest details. Most of the time molds will be relatively rough.

    But anyway, let's get on with it. As you can see I used a piece of sprue to limit the base area as I don't really need that big. Ideally I'd fill it all with GS and that'd make for a best mold. However I'm running low on it right now and I'm tight with money, so it will look a bit differently. As you can see here I'm checking if the piece fits in there:


    Now, make quite a large ammoun of green stuff and put it onto the base.


    Now the very important part. Use a brush to cover the entire piece with cooking oil. It will prevent it from sticking onto the putty and ruinging your mold when you will be take the piece out.

    Now firmly press the piece onto the putty. It's is adviced to first press the more detailed part in.

    Now, since this mold will actually be two sided, use the blunt end of the brush to make holes which will act as guides, so that one it's all done the two pieces will fit the way they're supposed to. Also now is the time to make sure the mold is tightly adjected to the object.


    Since this particular mold is drying now, I can't show you the last step, but it's simple. Lubricate the entire thing, both the piece and half of the mold with cooking oil and then slap another piece of green stuff onto it, so that it covers it entirely. Press firmly to make sure it attaches the way it should and takes as much details as possible.


And that's it for today. The next part will cover weathering and wearing out the veterans' armour. Meanwhile I'm back to working on infantry squad, psykers and differential equations. I'll post up some progress on the first, some previews on the second soon, but I won't torture you with the third!

Thanks for reading!

This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at Tuesday, May 12, 2009 and is filed under , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

42 comments

love the bandage eye, easy way to make that head look a little different considering how many times it probably gets used in an IG army!! i'l be copying that one for sure!
love the sash and look forward to seeing more of that model for you psyker squad.
keep up the great posting & great work
Craig @ cadian8th

13 May 2009 at 12:20

Excellent tutorial! I shall have to try this stuff when I start putting together my vets.

14 May 2009 at 17:12

Thanks for the information about this notebook it will help me more to understand about it.asian singles

29 July 2013 at 08:24

This is beyond doubt a blog significant to follow. You’ve dig up a great deal to say about this topic, and so much awareness. I believe that you recognize how to construct people pay attention to what you have to pronounce, particularly with a concern that’s so vital. I am pleased to suggest this blog. Lipozene

31 July 2013 at 09:13

I harmonize with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your approaching updates
Lipozene

24 August 2013 at 08:44

Great piece of writing, I really liked the way you highlighted some really important and significant points. Thanks so much, I appreciate your work.

24 November 2013 at 05:14

I am so grateful to find your particular post. I have bookmarked this website and I will keep visiting you for further such interesting posts.
rubber flooring

10 February 2014 at 09:39

Now and then I’ll stumble across a post like this and I’ll recall that there really are still interesting pages on the web. ^_^. Thanks.
Hydroxycut

14 February 2014 at 04:28

I am very much overwhelmed by your thoughts for this particular story. A more deeper and staged knowledge would be good for me

19 February 2014 at 15:09

Now and then I’ll stumble across a post like this and I’ll recall that there really are still interesting pages on the web. ^_^. Thanks.
Hydroxycut Reviews

19 February 2014 at 15:09

Another great post, I appreciate all the work you put into this site, helping out others with your fun and creative works.
SlimQuick

7 March 2014 at 13:59

Well somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog. It’s amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often.
Diet Pills

11 May 2014 at 16:30

Well somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog. It’s amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often.

18 May 2014 at 21:15
Lipozene  

Well somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog. It’s amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often.

27 May 2014 at 19:23

Well somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog. It’s amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often.

27 May 2014 at 19:23

Outstanding blog post, I have marked your site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future.

12 June 2014 at 14:27

amazingly creative stuff it was. i really enjoyed the entire blog and i must say i am impressed with your peculiar art skills. keep sharing kind of informative stuff.
gatwick meet & greet

9 July 2014 at 12:42

Hey that was great to read. Thanks for the great post .Loved every part of it.

19 July 2014 at 13:08

I bookmark your website and will come back in the future

30 July 2014 at 12:09

Hey that was great to read. Thanks for the great post .Loved every part of it.

2 August 2014 at 09:36

Blogs are very fine posting..

22 August 2014 at 09:03
Smith  

Thanks for your tutorial blog, i really thankful for your post...

Offering you a Gym Mats For sale

22 August 2014 at 12:14
Anonymous  

Advantageously, the article is really the best on this notable topic. I harmonize with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your approaching updates

27 August 2014 at 18:46

Just stumbled across your blog and was instantly amazed with all the useful information that is on it. Great post, just what i was looking for and i am looking forward to reading your other posts soon!

27 August 2014 at 18:46

What a great website having useful article. I would like to say thanks for sharing such a nice article. Keep it up.

14 October 2014 at 10:56

provided this handy data with us. Be sure to keep us knowledgeable such as this. Thank you for sharing with us!

20 October 2014 at 09:34

I am so impressed w/evernote so far. really pro stuff. thx folks

12 December 2014 at 13:43

thanks for sharing

25 December 2014 at 17:37

Great site. I add this Post to my bookmarks.

25 December 2014 at 17:38

I desired to thank you for this exceptional read!! I absolutely enjoyed every single small little bit of it. I’ve you bookmarked your internet site to look at out the new stuff you post.

25 February 2015 at 16:20

I desired to thank you for this exceptional read!! I absolutely enjoyed every single small little bit of it. I’ve you bookmarked your internet site to look at out the new stuff you post.

25 February 2015 at 16:20

I have been meaning to write something like this on my website and you have given me an idea. Cheers.

28 February 2015 at 11:02

I read the first time this article I am very impressed to your point of view on this great topic, thanks for nice sharing order forms for websites

8 May 2015 at 06:56

"I hate Right Hands" is the best series for me. I have viewed its all series and I like it much. Find out forex forums and binary forums at www.fxbinarypoint.com

25 May 2016 at 11:11

This is the best part of I hate right hands. I assure this is will be best part for viewers. Explore urdu islamic information at www.tohed.com

25 May 2016 at 11:13

Another great post, I appreciate all the work you put into this site, helping out others with your fun and creative works.

2 October 2016 at 20:00

The first time I came here, less than 10 seconds the display is perfectly open, and the loading is completed less than 20 seconds and to open the article only took about 7 seconds. So I think this is very fast! Incredible! Trying to maintain!

9 November 2016 at 16:11

I am very much overwhelmed by your thoughts for this particular story. A more deeper and staged knowledge would be good for me.

3 December 2016 at 08:49

You can get easily your needed products related to floor and floor products as we have a variety of all these products.

5 May 2020 at 13:20

Jute tarpaulin is another one type of tarpaulin that our website sells. Jute tarpaulins are like all other regular tarps but made from jute, which is a natural material that is derived out of a jute plant.

11 May 2020 at 13:56

Instagram is such an Influencer in the Business Buying Process that plays a role in the business purchase decision-making process. It includes the actual users of the product or service, those who make the buying decision, those who influence the buying decision, those who do the actual buying, and those who control buying information.

3 June 2020 at 13:06

Post a Comment